Sunday 30 June 2013

Sunday 30th June.

Missoula to Lochsa Lodge  58 miles  (46 in Montana and 12 In Idaho)

    I left Missoula early because I new it was going to be hot. For the first 10 or so miles I had to retrace my steps, then I turned up to follow the West Fork Lolo Creek, up to the top of the pass. I have crossed over to the other side of the Bitterroot Mountains, and entered a new state and a new time zone. I am now in Pacific time.
     The area is forested. There are huge red cedar trees and they smell like the wooden chest your grandmother kept her best clothes in. After the pass, it was downhill alongside the Lochsa  River. Because of the heat and the fact that there are no services for the next 66 miles, I stopped at Lochsa Lodge. Here you can camp for free and it is a lovely spot.However, you have no alternative but to eat in their restaurant - not a hardship - looking out on those trees is stunning.
     I have been down to the river, and have been sitting on a rock with my feet in the water. Have also had a beer with my neighbours in the chalet next door. Their husky dog is sitting on the porch.

No comments:

Post a Comment