Thursday 6 June 2013

Wed. 5th June

To Bezine. 52 miles

   A bit of a crap start to the day as I had a puncture. However, it was just after I started off in the morning so I was able to go back to the motel where I had spent the night, and get back my room. I spent ages trying to fix the thing, then the valve in the first inner tube broke when I was pumping up the tyre so I had to start all over again with another inner tube. Fortunately, an 'old boy' who saw me repairing the bike came round with a proper foot pump which got things sorted in the end.
  Then cycling into a head wind for 19 miles. Very hard going. At one point I was only travelling about 5 miles per hour -and that was downhill! I imagined all those early settlers with their wagon trains having to cope. I passed one of the forts built to protect the trade routes. We are talking real cowboy and Indian territory here.  

This is a limestone area. Fence posts were (and still are in places) made of limestone blocks. Trees are scarce. Limestone  buildings and churches also exist.

      
Spent the night at a cyclists bed and breakfast. As did Tom and Jana.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear of your tyres mishap, I hope it won't happen again!
    Matthew and wee Keith asked me to say they are both sorry of not being able to leave comments, neither of them has access to a Google account but I do, so I shall leave messages on behalf of Matthew at least!
    Take care of yourself and keep cycling! We are all very proud of you :-)
    Cassie and Matthew xxx

    ReplyDelete