Monday 3 June 2013

Monday 3rd June

Saturday 1st. June Pittsburg to Benidict 75 miles

      Cycling past swollen rivers and creeks, with one detour which I had been forwarned about. Went through Girard originally home to 5 printing works but now only one remains. I did however, have breakfast which included a Scotch style pancake as big as a dinner plate.  I had expected to camp behind the church in the small hamlet of Benedict.   BUT,  the minister there, Pastor Joe, was a religious fanatic. He had bought the old wreck of a church, for his own ministry. He had also produced his own bible with all mention of false gods omitted. Days of the week get called by numbers...etc.   He does care for Sue, a disabled parishioner and I spent what time I could talking to her. I suspect that she would like a few more shopping trips and a TV.   Had to spend the night in the church, and could not get away quick enough in the morning. I have the address and Pastor Joe would be happy to send you a bible if you want  - but then you will be barred from this blog!.

Sunday 2nd June 80 miles to Cassoday




 Great cycle leading up into the Flint hills which is prairie land. Men and boys wear Stetson hats and I passed large ranches with cattle and horses. At Cassoday I went into the petrol station/shop/diner/community centre. I spent time talking to what appeared to be most of the population. Camped under the gazebo in the park (as I was told to) and had a great nights' sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Really enjoying your blog, Sarah. More power to your pedals.
    Ed n Helen

    ReplyDelete