Wednesday 19 June 2013

Wed. P.M. pictures of past three days.


 Lander is a great town. I have had a good look at the main street which has a lot of small shops and I have brought a new book to read from the second hand bookshop. I have also been round the (free) pioneer museum.
     The museum was very good. The covered wagons were first called sheep wagons, because they were used by shepherds. They were introduced to the country by the Basques from the Pyrenees at the beginning of the nineteenth century and had wooden wheels with metal trims. It did not take long for manufacture of these to take place in the states. A more hardy version was made from hickory wood  which had been seasoned for five years, and which had metal wheels. There were also some Indian tapestries, which had bead work.The 'canvas' was deer hide. Outside were log cabins; initial homesteads which had been moved to the museum location. The museum was cared for mainly by volunteers.
    After the museum I went to Safeway. Going to the supermarket is a major treat! Here I met a Belgian couple and their 2 year old daughter, who are cycling from Los Angeles to Canada. I had passed them yesterday. We had a picnic lunch together, and will be meeting at the micro brewery early this evening.
     Tomorrow I resume my cycle ride and will be cycling through an Indian reserve.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely to hear you keep meeting nice people - any chance of another map of where you have got to? I like to spy how far you cycled, and the little blue map of USA showing the cycle trail is cute.
    Love,
    Cassie and Matthew

    ReplyDelete