Sunday 16 June 2013

Sunday 16th June.

Walden to Saratoga.    67 miles  (22 in Colorado and 45 in Wyoming)

     Tonight I am staying in Saratoga. It is a pleasant small town. The road I am travelling along goes right through the centre. On this are (amongst other things) a lumber merchants', taxidermists, 2 petrol stations which sell food but no fruit, "Grandma's Café" - which looks closed down and the "Sage and Sand Motel" in which I am staying. At right angles to this is Main street on which can be found the Black Rock Arts Centre and the Hat creek Country Store. I peered through the window of the store, and they sell lots of cowboy style hats, cowboy boots and cowboy stuff etc. At the edge of town is a dollar store (a bit like our Poundland ) were I brought nuts and dried fruit.
        There is also a river, plus hot springs. The hot springs are free to use. So I did. The first pool was very, very hot and the second pool was not warm enough. I had expected to camp here. However, as I came out so did the wind  and I could hardly stand upright so I made for the motel.
      To get here I cycled through cattle ranch country and passed the Wyoming border. I also passed Gay again with her support car and Ian from Warrington who is cycling from West to East, as is Kevin who I also passed. It is good to talk to these cyclists as you can swap experiences. For example, when I reach Jefferson City (about 2 days away), I am to cycle straight through it! I must under no circumstances visit the bar/café as they are very hostile to cyclists. Good to know!
      I have not seen any live moose, but did see elk in the distance.

1 comment:

  1. You're an inspiration! My gang just spent a long weekend pedalling around the whisky trail - beer, pies and malt outdid the cycling by many calories :(

    ReplyDelete