Tuesday 25 June 2013

Ennis to Dillon.  75 miles

   Today began with a 2,000 ft. climb. I began cycling early and reached the old gold mining town of Virginia City by 9.A.M. The town is made up of old clapboard houses, which are now gift shops, ice cream shops and the like.
      I then cycled on to Twin Bridges, were I used the library wi-fi to Skype Mum and Keith. I was on the phone when a rather eccentric local cyclist came and hovered over me.  Robert 'insisted' I go home with him for a pot of  darjeeling tea. I must say it was the best tea I have had since being in the U.S.A.. He gave me some to take away.  He also made me a salad. There was a very nice looking bit of cooked salmon in the kitchen, but that was given to the cat, not me.
   I then had to cycle another 30 miles to Dillon into the wind because I had arranged with Ed. to be at this campsite. Have been out for a very authentic and cheap Mexican meal served in an old bus. There are another couple of cyclists who have just arrived, they have not been cycling for long and are attempting to work out how to put up their tent!

1 comment:

  1. Sarah i have just spent this morning catching up on your travels as Keith gave me one of your cards [i lost the first one].
    what a trip, great descriptions and photos. My grandfather worked and lived in butte montana for over 20 years [a lot of Irish from west Cork went there] so if you visit there I'm sure there will be museums. It was a copper mining town. you sound as if you are enjoying yourself and must be very FIT!! Hope to track you more frequently now.
    Noelle

    ReplyDelete