Friday 14 June 2013

Friday 14th June 11.A.M.

Thursday 13th June- Fairplay to Blue River campground. 48 miles

    I cycled over the 11,542 ft Hoosier pass and continental divide. This will be the highest point of my trip. Although as I am now travelling north, I do criss-cross over the divide again. The views were stunning and I was looking down on snow capped peaks.
    On the other side I entered ski country - a bit of a culture shock- breakfast cost me twice as much as the day before and was only half as good! Breckenridge was a French Alpine style ski resort with a bit of gold town clapboard frontage thrown in. There is a gondola, cycle paths, plus loads of shops and tourists.
     I cycled through a further two ski towns, and then my route took me alongside the Blue River. I camped at a forestry run site with no wi-fi. So I spent the late afternoon sitting on a rock in a shallow part of the river with my feet in the water, watching a family fishing. The son, who looked about 12, caught a fish but released it back into the water.
 " NOTE  Dogs antagonize bears please keep them on a leash at all times"!

1 comment:

  1. Sarah

    For your reference, height of Col de Petit St. Bernard in Alps is 1282m = 4206ft. So your Hoosier Pass is roughly x 2.5 !

    Keith

    ReplyDelete