Monday 24 June 2013

Monday 24th June.

I have now left Wyoming. A place of extremes.

      Very hot and very cold.

      Arid desert and huge areas of wilderness forest.

      Some of the best and worst scenery.

      Some terrible towns and Lander, my favourite town so far, of the whole trip.


I have also left Yellowstone National Park. A great place which would best be explored on foot using the hiking trails. The roads through the park are not wide, and there is a lot of traffic. RV's swing cars behind them, motor bikes roar past and there are endless bus loads of Koreans and Japanese sightseers.
The park is, however, very well managed and I could not fault the facilities provided.

I did see a wild bison, but to my relief, no bears.

Monday 24th June  West Yellowstone to Ennis 71 miles.

     What a great ride- the wind was behind me! WELCOME MONTANA . I cycled faster up hill than I was cycling down hill last Friday.  The volcanic landscape remains. I passed Quake Lake, formed after an earthquake which devastated the area in 1959. The dying trees are still visible in the water.

    Ennis is a small tourist town. There are lots of real estate agents, the Gravel Saloon Bar.  The Float Bird Hunt and Outdoor shop (lots of fishing tackle and guns), a small whisky distillery and loads of ice cream shops.
    Tomorrow I have a very large hill to climb, and my direction of travel changes. So I hope the wind remains in my favour.

No comments:

Post a Comment