Saturday 15 June 2013

Sat. 15th June 2013

Hot Sulphur Springs to Walden. 68 miles.

     Another pass to climb today, but this time the wind was behind me and I enjoyed the 20 mile cycle up the quiet road to Willow Creek Pass (9,621ft) and another crossing of the continental divide. Much of the area was covered in dying native pines. Drought has made the trees weak and the Colorado pine beetle is killing them. To my left was the Rabbit Ear Range.
       At the top of the pass I met a really nice woman, ( I can not remember her name) who was acting as support driver for her husband who was also cycling this route. She was pulling a caravan.
      Then as I topped the pass the wind changed and acted as a brake as I descended to the Hamlet of Rand. This very small windswept place had a shop selling gifts, books and maps, all very well laid out- not sure how much trade they get!. There was also an old dilapidated building with the sign 'Rand Yacht Club' above the door. I have only seen small reservoirs, although cars have passed me pulling boats - so I might be missing something.
        For the 22 miles from Rand to Walden the wind came at me from all sides, making cycling a bit of a slog. BUT, I had a support car - I never did meet the cycling husband - but sat with his wife out of the wind as she leapfrogged past me several times whilst waiting with her cyclist's next snack!
      Could not face the tent in the wind so have booked into motel. Done my washing, and been to a café and eaten pie.       Tomorrow I should cross into Wyoming.
So, OBSERVATIONS ON COLORADO......

Car number plates are coulorful but cars are often dented and belch out smoke

There are a lot of moose in the area, but I have only seen their heads stuck on café walls

Everybody has a dog.

Motorcyclists do not always wear helmets

Wind can be a cyclists' best friend or their worst enemy

It is very hot in the afternoon, but gets cold at night

I have loved Colorado: the hills, the wide open spaces and the people

No comments:

Post a Comment