Sunday 23 June 2013

Friday 21st June.

Dubois to Colter Bay Village 67 miles

   I dreamed about bears. The evening before I spoke to a man in an RV who had just passed a grizzly bear and her two cubs on the side of the road, near the top of the pass which I have to cross. He, felt he had been brave when he wound down his window to take a picture.
            I DO NOT HAVE A WINDOW
            I AM ON A BICYCLE
            I DO NOT WANT TO MEET ANY GRIZZLY BEARS
The day began with a 30 mile climb to the top of the 9,658 ft. Togwotee Pass and the second highest point of the trip. There was an amazing rock formation in front of me, which looked a bit like a Spanish castle at the top of the mountain. Then it was another cross of the continental divide, before 17 miles downhill. As is often the case in Wyoming the wind was against me, so I had to pedal at times.
     The view in front was spectacular. The snow clad Teton  mountains were in view. I then entered the Teton National Park and wilderness area. I had to buy a 12 dollar pass which covers me for Yellowstone as well.  A flashing neon sign said.  Give way to cyclists and wildlife!
    I camped in the hiker/biker section of the campsite. This is always at the back, along way from the shop and visitor centre. Everything edible or smelly (soap etc) is put into a bear  proof box.
      This is a large, very well managed tourist site.The shop is excellent, selling fruit bakery products and energy bars. Coulter Bay is on Jackson Lake,and you look across to the mountains on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment