Monday 1 July 2013

Monday 1st July

Lochsa Lodge to Stites   92 miles

     Today I got up very early to cycle so that I could finish early as the day was forecast, (and has been ) very hot. I continued cycling down the Lochsa River to Lowell. A great ride through wilderness forest.. I kept passing creeks draining into the river, which had names like Dead Man's Creek and Swan Creek.  At Lowell, my river joined forces with the middle fork of the Clearwater River, and changed its name.
     I had anticipated camping at this spot, but it was only just after 11A.M! I had a long chat with two Scottish cyclists travelling the other way. Michael Jack came from Peebles and could place exactly where Matthew and Cassie live!  Kooskie, a much bigger town, was down river and only 24 miles away, so after a visit to the café that is were I cycled to. It was very hot. I had pie and ice cream in town, then cycled the last 3 miles to camp. I am in the garden of a rather fancy sports lodge - no charge - no shower.
     For the last day and a half I have been cycling the same route which Lewis and Clark took when they first explored the area in 1805. They were befriended and assisted by the local Nez Perce Indians, who little new that this would mean the end of their independence and self sufficient life style. Fur trappers came, who amongst other things nearly wiped out the beaver population. They were followed by settlers, the two cultures could not exist together. The result was the Nez Perce War. Ultimatley the Nez Perce  had no choice but to begin a 1,300 mile forced march heading for the freedom of Canada.
Today after leaving the protected wilderness area, I have been cycling through Indian reservation lands.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment