Wednesday 3 July 2013

Tuesday 2nd July.

Stites to Riggins.      67 miles

    The first time in the whole trip, when I nearly gave up!!!      It has been boiling hot! and iced water in my water bottle has become bath temperature after 40 mins.
       I knew that it was going to be hot, so started early. Yesterday's downhill had left me at low altitude in the bottom of a canyon, so it was over 2,000 ft. to climb up onto the prarie plateau.
I cycled up the wooded gorge and was passed by at least 10 truck loads of timber. I was also passed by Chris, a Dutch cyclist whom I had very briefly met back in Kentucky (he has been cycling around the glacial national park, as an extra). We had breakfast in Grangeville, back in taxidermy land where the walls were decorated with animals' heads.
      It was then up and over the pass. I missed the turn off to follow the old and scenic Route 95 but the main road was fine. The sherriff spoke to me at the top and informed me that it was very hot for the time of year. A long steep descent meant I lost all the height I had gained and then I  reached the Salmon river, which descended into another canyon.  I did stop in the middle of the day, had a swim in the river and a siesta.
     
I had  about 24 miles to reach Riggins, where I had promised myself an air conditioned motel room for the night. BUT THE HEAT....!  For the first time on the trip I did not think I could make it. I reached this layby with sign, covered in sweat  - my cycling gloves could be rung out! and I actually thought about hitching a lift into town. But, Chris appeared, bleeding and battered. He had taken the correct route but falling rocks had caused him to fall off his bike. (some nurse me- I did not even have steri strips in my first aid kit). He told me that clouds were appearing, to take it slowly and I would make it. Chris was way ahead of me despite his injuries, but I did make it. Passing  an unexpected fruit farm store helped.
     Staying in the Riggins Motel, which I chose because it had a laundry, but which also happens to be a great place.  It is an original 1946 motel, and a "listed building". I have a little sit down area with table and chairs outside my room. A fridge, microwave and coffee maker inside - the last doubles for me as a teapot and I have been drinking the excellent Darjeeling tea which I was given about a week ago.

          I am having a recovery day! No way did I want to start cycling at first light again. This is a holiday rafting town. I might swim in the river. then first thing tomorrow it is another long climb up out of the Salmon river canyon.


I HAVE DECIDED THAT I DO NOT MUCH LIKE CANYONS!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you are almost in Oregon - my favourite state.
    There'll be some nice cold IPA there to cool you in the heat wave!
    Just Washington state to cross. Nearly there!

    ReplyDelete