Monday 8 July 2013

Monday 8th July

Sumpter to Mount Vernon.  66 miles.

    I got up at 5 A.M., and began cycling in the cool of the day. A real treat as I climbed up into the Natural Forest. I did two climbs before breakfast. then the third and highest at  5,277 ft. Dixie Pass. The roads are great and the ups and downs well graded, so a bit of a treat. However, I am now in hot, arid land again!
     I have been meeting other cyclists. First Lorna and Bill heading in the opposite direction to me. They were collapsed in the shade half way up Dixie Pass and that was their first climb of the day! ( I was descending from my third). Then I met Natt in a town called John Day - we had apple pie and ice cream in a café,. then Natt headed out with me to this great cycling hostel., Phil, (Australian) who I last saw very early on in Virginia, appeared. We have had a pasta meal together, plus a beer. The hostel is run by Christy, who also organises local bike trips. A  great place!

1 comment:

  1. Wow not long to go now! And it looks like you'll finish with time to spare :-) Hope the flat tyres and arid country will soon be behind you.
    Cassie & Matthew xxx

    ReplyDelete