Thursday 4 July 2013

July 4th

Riggins to Cambridge   82 miles.

   I have now been cycling for two months. I do not, however, think that is why today is a public holiday and American flags are on display.  I began with an uphill cycle out of the Salmon River canyon, but it was gradual. I began early, there were clouds in the sky, and very little traffic. After about 12 miles the forest began, and it was a beautiful ride, to New Meadows, were I had coffee, and then on to Council.
        I spoke to 2 forest rangers, and then went down into the town (of Council) to watch the events. The chief event seemed to be the porcupine race. I watched the last couple of heats and then the final. The porcupine is in a bin which is then upturned and removed at the race start, the porcupine is then encouraged forward with a broom. A bit like the sweeping action used in curling. I am not sure that the porcupines enjoyed the event.
      I then went to check out the food stalls  - hot dogs--not for me, however I found home made fayre including cherry pie in the senior citizens centre.  ( I think run by the equivalant of the W.I.).
    I then cycled on to just before Cambridge, to stay near hot springs. This place has a swimming pool, a few chalets and an RV park, although I can only see one RV, I am camping. It is a bit like a farm which has a tourist side line. I have been in the pool, which was just the right temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment