Friday 5 July 2013

July 5th.

Cambridge Hot Springs to Halfway.  59 miles  (31 in Idaho and 29 in Oregon).


   The day began with another climb. I have kind of planned it that way, because if there is a big climb ahead, I like to do it in the cool of the early morning.  After the climb, it was a very long descent out of fertile farmland into Hells Canyon. The deepest canyon in the USA. (not bigger, but deeper than the Grand Canyon). Before reaching the bottom I stopped for breakfast in a café/local store/fishing supply shop.
      I actually enjoyed this canyon. A very scenic route followed two dams and the resulting lakes and the Snake River. I did however get a puncture. I think it was when I wheeled my bike to put it up against the "Entering Oregon" sign, to take a photo.
       At my lunch spot/ Skype Keith spot, who should appear but the three lads from Surrey with their matching tops. I saw them briefly in Pueblo and before that in Virginia. On the hill up out of the canyon they passed me with ease!  I am camping at the town of Halfway, which means that I am out of the heat of the canyon but have the rest of the climb for tomorrow morning. I f you look at the picture of the typical Idaho farm barn you will see my tent to the left.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment