Sunday 7 July 2013

Sat. 6th July.

Halfway to Baker City.  53 miles.

    My tyre was flat again this morning! I knew I had not got enough air in with my hand pump. Anyway, this time I went to the local garage to try and use their air supply to pump up my tyre but wrong kind of valve. However, they did telephone Bill who works on bikes (and also volunteers in the local museum) and he got  my back tyre sorted.
     It was a late, hot start to the cycling day. The rest of the hill was fine, but then I was back down and down again into the canyon. Actually a nice ride. I am just not cut out for the heat. I crossed over the Powder River at the bottom of the canyon. Then it was up to irrigated farmland, then up and over Flagstone Pass.  It was from this arid hillside that those early settlers saw their first glimpse of the fertile land ahead. There is a visitor centre but a mile up hill, off route, so sadly I gave it a miss.
     Then into Baker City- an old gold mining and supply town. I hit the first campsite and now found that my front tyre was going flat. Changed the tyre but it is flat again this morning! (which must show that I am not good at sorting out punctures). I met the three Surrey lads again. I think they have had several punctures since arriving in Oregon.
   NOTE TO CYCLISTS: DO NOT PUT YOUR BIKE IN FRONT OF THE WELCOME TO OREGON SIGN! ( I am convinced I picked up sharp debris there causing me punctures).
    

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sarah, glad to see your trip is going well. Probably you know this already, but recurrent flat tyres are most likely caused by something stuck on the inside of your tyre. Also, the inner tube itself might have a small hole, or rarely, the spoke heads might be putting pressure on the inner tubes. Hope you enjoy the rest of the trip. All the best from London. Alberto & Lucy.

    ReplyDelete