Saturday 20 July 2013

Thursday 18th July.

62 miles (26 in Oregon and 36 in Washington state.  Astoria to Longview.

  I started cycling north with Ruffie from Yorkshire, who also has to get back to Seattle for his flight.
We cycled through forested land, close to the Columbia River, before crossing the river by ferry at Westport. Astoria was settled by Scandinavians- to the East the Finnish and to the North West, Swedish. The ferry took us via Puget Island into Washington State, and Norwegian territory.
    We had a second breakfast in Cathlamet, surrounded by movie pictures. There were large cut outs of James Dean and Elvis plus a jukebox. I had to pose for the camera between the two!
  I then cycled along the Washington side of the Columbia River to Longview, where I had arranged to stay with Jean and Dennis.
A scenic ride, but I was passed by a lot of truck loads of wood. This wood is exported to Japan from Longview. The town also has one of the largest paper mills in the world. Jean met me outside the Starbucks near the Lewis and Clark Bridge. She was riding a recumbent bike, and I followed her home. Dennis and Jean both belong to the recumbent bike club, later Dennis arrived home from work on his recumbent bike.
   A great evening with a meal which included squash (courgettes) from their garden. Then a night sleeping under one of the quilts which Jean had made. Next day she was going quilting with friends in the Norwegian hall which I had passed on Puget Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment