Thursday 9 May 2013

Thursday

Yesterday  I cycled 60 miles  from Charlotsville to Versuvious, gradually working my way up into the Appalachian mountains. passing some great spots, including my coffee stop at Wyatts Store which has been running since 1886. Pouring with rain for much of the day, but on the plus side colder weather makes the cycling easier. I reached over 3000 ft. but climbed more as a lot of downs as well. Last night camped for free behind Gerties shop in a water logged field. All these old shops are made of clap board and the interiors look like 30's film sets! Whilst I was putting up my tent Gertie's grandson (I expect Gertie is long gone) did me a grilled chicken sandwich and fries (plus I had a beer) So my nights' stay with food cost 10 dollars.
   Today have, cycled through Lexington home of the Virginia military (got a bit lost and had to back track) and am now sitting outside the library in Buchanan before looking for a camp site. Have travelled occasionaly with local cyclists who ride with me for a while before speeding up and heading off. One was definately a candidate for the CTC group- retired but bemoaning the fact that his voluntary work kept him from cycling as much as he wanted. The Appalachian walking trails are all maintained by volunteers like himself.
    Thank you for all the messages.

No comments:

Post a Comment