Saturday 25 May 2013

Saturday 25th May.

On Friday 24th I cycled 65 miles from Eddyville to Murphysboro.

    A better day in Illinois- downhill for a bit. I had not realized how far I had climbed the day before. Then I met Simon again (with his Dawes Galaxy bike) plus a very thin American lad called Marcel. The coffee shop we met in gave us each a free bit of pie and took our photos - they will remain on the wall for every passer by to view! The lads were faster than me but they were sitting in a Macdonalds as I approached a horrible jumble of roads on the way into Carbondale. Marcel then navigated us into a bike shop in town and my bike got new brake blocks.
      I then cycled a further 9 miles with Simon and we camped on Tabitha's grass (American cycling host). This was very kind of her and her husband Elliott as they had 4 young children including a baby of three months. Elliott gave us a beer - the Illinois shops have alcohol in them!

Facts I learnt...

1. If you do not keep your garden tidy and mow the grass the town council fine you $250 .
2. Illinois produces a lot of coal but it has a high sulphur content so most gets exported to China!

No comments:

Post a Comment