Sunday 19 May 2013

sunday !9th May

49 miles to Bardstown. Camping in park next to a children's play area and there is a big golf course nearby. Now having a trip.to the launderette to wash my clothes..  Great cycle through rolling farm land today.  I passed the Lincoln homestead, where Abraham Lincoln lived until the age of nine. His mother then died because she drank milk which had been poisoned by some kind of root the cows had eaten. Normally there is a charge but the curator gave me a ginger ale to drink instead! The wooden buildings were authentic and there was a little museum, but fortunately no large visitor centre.

      Bardstown where I am staying is the centre of the USA whisky industry and I passed bonded warehouses on the way into town. I think bourbon is made here, but have not (and will not be) going on any of the tours to confirm that.

No comments:

Post a Comment