Thursday 30 May 2013

Thursday 30th May

Wed, 29th May 75 miles Hartville to Ash grove.

    A typical day cycling, I get up at about 6.30 am and pack away my tent. I have a drink of milk and eat a banana. I cycle, I like to ride for about 15 miles in the early morning before it gets too hot. Today it had to be longer because there were no services before Marshfield, about 25 miles away. The rollers continue, but it is a nice ride through arable country. I pass a couple of Amish farms; see horse and cart. USA towns are strung out, so as I approach Marshfeild I pass car dealerships, farm supply outlets and a string of other warehouse style businesses. The town center houses a courthouse, library, insurance services, but no food shops. This one has a cafe and I have coffee and a roll. Then it is more cycling with frequent stops for drinks (gatorade). As I tire I start to push my bike up steep hills, of which there are plenty.The churches I now pass are brick built and have neon signs outside. Then it is time for the next campsite, this time in the city park at Ash grove. Ash grove is not really what I would call a city- it is a small and very pleasant town with a large park in which children are playing sport. There is a small swimming pool, toilet block with shower.
 I meet Tom and Jana here, but there is also another cyclist who has a key to this building in the park in which we are allowed to stay (which was good as the weather not great in the night). After a shower, I go to the local grill with the others for a meal. Now I eat all my burger and fries with no problem.
I am shattered and asleep by 9.30.


Thursday 30th May.  Ash Grove to Pittsburg, Kansas 70 miles  (67 in Missouri about 3 in Kansas)

     This is not a typical days cycling. The weather forecast is not good,but the morning is bright. I enjoy my cycle, I do not mind when the rain starts, or even the thunder, but speed up to the 'city' of Golden City (that is the town's name) when lightning strikes about 10 meters in front of me. There is a great cafe called "Cookies" in this small town. It serves excellent pies. I have a piece. (Pie is a big thing here and I shall be eating a piece most days). The rain stops but it is only 12.30 am and there is nothing to do here, so I  cycle on to the much bigger town of Pittsburg.   BUT-  the thunder and rain begins again.The sky is alive with it .  As the lightning strikes, I make for a house with a porch . Joel was great, I stayed with him and his wife Kimberly until a glimmer of bright appeared, and then cycled the final 12 miles to town, crossing the Kansas border on the way. I am now holed up in a motel for 2 nights as the forecast is awful for tomorrow  - more tornadoes whizzing about. I will also add that Joel did offer to drive me and bike into town, but I resisted the temptation. Another incredibly kind couple.  I loved Missouri.

It is really great to get your comments and know people are reading this if anybody wants to leave me any....

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Sarah for the horse picture! It seems that you are having fun (apart from lightning too close...), Love Cassie and Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you're in pie land now. Keep going west and you'll soon be in craft beer country too.

    ReplyDelete