Sunday 12 May 2013

Sunday 12th May

60 Miles to Damascus The one in west Virginia, not the capital of the Lebanon. A great ride through fantastic scenery. The terrain remains very hilly. This place seems a bit like Scotland's Aviemore 20 years ago: stop off point for people walking the Appalachian trail. Plus it has lots of mountain bike routes. Shuttle services take people to the start of the Virginia creeper trail and they ride down.(Please note I passed their start place which means I had climbed to 3000 ft)..
    I have been following the American Adventure cycling route - which, if you have been able to follow my direction, you will see is anything but direct! I have been travelling south. I think the Virginian tourist organisation must have had a say in the route! 2 more days and I should be leaving Virginia and verging west. The route does, however, avoid as much as is possible the main 3 lane highways (I have crossed over some big ones) and take me through some great scenery. So I am just following the maps.

No comments:

Post a Comment