Saturday 11 May 2013

Saturday 11th May

On Friday I cycled 64 miles to Radford. It was a lovely, but hilly ride through the Catwaba hills and valley. It was hot, I normally drink just water, but today also had a 'power drink' with a luminous red glow. By the time I reached Radford the sky was dark and thunder could be heard. The rain poured down and I hid under the awning of the Methodist church. So I telephoned Mick, somebody who has never met me or knows anything about me, but is a cyclist. He came out, picked me and bike up with his car. Took me to his beautiful home overlooking Claytor lake, where he and his wife Lee, fed me, and put me up for the night. Plus and it is a big plus, they took me with them to Floyd for an evening of Southern country music. Each Friday evening people come down from the Appalachian mountains (and a lot of other places)  to play music and dance in the country store. Highlight of the trip so far.

    Today I had a late start and a very comfortable lie in bed. Then Mick dropped me back at the Methodist church, in light drizzle. I met 3 young lads fro the UK cycling the same route as me (had seen them yesterday as well) -they had to spend the wet night in a motel, and there was only a smoking room left which they did not like. I also met 2 retired men from Pennsylvania who are also cycling the route.
Sarah, Garry Kehr, Earl Groat and cyclists from London.

They had arranged to stay in the church in Whytheville for the night, and arranged for me to do the same.The result is that I am writing this in the drawing room area of the church hall where I will sleep. I have just returned from the minister's home where he and his wife have let me use their shower and fed me. The 2 Americans, one of whom is also a clergyman are staying in the minister's house. There has been an AA meeting taking place in the room below, but I think they have all gone now. I will have to leave early in the morning before the 8 am church service!

1 comment:

  1. Just logged onto your blog Sarah and sounds like you are having an interesting and exciting time! Wish I had the nerve to do so myself, and the stamina,you are amazing!! Will keep tabs on your every move from now on and when you come home I want to cycle with you and go on your next expedition! India would be good!! No changes here. Work incredibly Q!! Early start again tomorrow, 3 in a row, thats not cricket! Take care. Sue xx

    ReplyDelete