Sunday 5 May 2013

Saturday 4th May.

I had to get the bike shop to fix the front pannier racks on in the end - but no charge, and lynn took me there by car, then she took me out to lunch. then we went to the movies in the early evening.

      Saturday started cycling, first 26 miles into Washington along  the W and OD cycle path an old railway line. It was packed cyclists joggers, joggers pushing baby strollers rollerskaters. Not an overweight American in sight. Then it was another scenic cycle route along the ever widening river to Mount Vernon, George Washington's country estate. After that it was roads. I am following a cycle route but this did include a very busy highway. It also took me through a military base. Man at Mount Vernon who took a photo for me was sure they would not let me through, but they did. It was like a mini town so big I nearly lost my way.
     Then it was a long route out of built up areas. I cycled 75 miles in order to break free  - and find a campsite. Only to find that this campsite just took pre booked groups. but they let me put up my tent no charge.



Sunday 5th 71miles
      Cycling through countryside, lots of horses, plus houses with mail boxes at the end of there drives. A dog did run out at me, but it was only a beagle  who looked like Toby and wanted to say hello. Cycled through Fredricksburg, sight of a big civil war battle. Lush and green (not like Culloden) but sad as well.
       Have met Emily cycling down the East coast she is heading to North Carolina, so we will part ways tomorrow when I turn East. However are sharing pitch at campsite tonight.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you put a comment on Facebook to follow your blog, had no idea you had left. Hope you have a safe and enjoyable cycle. Don't be taking any risks, stick to the cycle routes, always let someone know your route and arrange checkpoints. Lecture over :) have a great time and thanks for taking us with you on your blog x

    ReplyDelete