Friday 17 May 2013

Friday 17th May

I am now in Berea in Kentucky.

      On Weds 16th I cycled 71 miles from the Breaks Interstate Park, a woodland area with walking trails, visitor centre(closed), swimming pool, (closed) and campsite hidden out of view of everything else, to Hindman. 71 miles of main roads, 700ft. climbs, switchbacks down and hot humid weather; it was in the 80's.
      Thursday was 65 miles to Booneville. Similar terrain, but not as hot.
Today was a better, more scenic 49 miles to the college town of Berea. Have cycled for most of the past three days with Garry and Earl, which has made the climbs easier.
      I have been passing through coalmining regions (as in the song "Coal Miner's Daughter"). Except that the recession has hit and some of the areas I have cycled through are really poor; the houses are clapboard, with porches and corrugated roofs or else trailer homes.There are a lot of kids on the porches and dogs in the yards.
     Weds night did however stay at a fantastic place run by David for cyclists in Hindman. For some unknown reason it was called the Knox Historical Centre. David greeted us with iced earl grey tea, gave us a fantastic meal (could not finish my icecream, but the cats ate it), and put the washing in the machine whilst I pitched my tent. I cannot thankyou enough David. It was a fantastic end to the worst days cycling on the trip!

FACTS I HAVE LEARNT

People mow their grass to keep the snakes away - there are rattlesnakes in the area.

Gatorade is produced at a plant near Wythville (through which I have passed) using water from the Appalchian mountains. I drank three bottles one day!

Some of the areas in Kentucky are dry (no alchol allowed)

Kentucky cars only have number plates on the back - not on the front.


      Am now off to find a place to camp.

1 comment:

  1. I can't imagine following a route that passes through alcohol free zones!

    ReplyDelete